Android Development: R Cannot Be Resolved to a Variable

I’ve been fiddling around with making my own Android apps and I keep running into an issue with my IDE. Out of nowhere it will forget what “R” is and start displaying the error “R cannot be resolved to a variable” and upon hovering over the line it suggests adding a reference to android.R, which does nothing to solve the problem. When I was first starting this caused me to abandon a few project files I had started because I had nothing worth saving and it was just easier for me to start a new project. I figured the answer was some typical pain in the butt java thing like setting the Path properly but it actually turned out to be much simpler.

java-build-issue

The issue can most often be solved by going to Project and then Clean in your IDE. After cleaning the project do a fresh build (Ctrl+B) and you should be good to go. Wow, it’s not often that a Java IDE issue is that easily fixed :)


Tags: , ,

  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

Leave a Reply