Resolving Eclipse’s “Could not find …\sdk\platform-tools\adb.exe” Error

I’ve recently gotten back into Android Development and when I fired up my old copy of Eclipse I had to work my way through a series of errors to get it up and running again. The first of which was this error:

Could not find ...\sdk\platform-tools\adb.exe

I’ve chopped off most of the URL as that will vary for each of you, but ultimately it is looking for adb.exe in the platform-tools folder of your Android SDK. In my case I had moved my android folder out of my Z drive and into my H drive and had expected something like this, so I went into the preferences and pointed it to the new location but found I was unable to save it. After a bit of research I found out that this file has moved during the history of the SDK and most people suggested pointing it to the tools folder instead of platform-tools, so I suggest trying that first. That did not work in my case, nor did I find a copy of hte adb.exe executable when I searched the folder. Somehow it had gotten lost in the move.

At this point I decided it was best to start with a new copy of SDK and went to https://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html and downloaded it. After extracting it, renaming the folder and moving it into my H drive I started up the software. Success! I no longer got the error, and when I was prompted for a workspace I pointed it to the same location in C:\Users\username\workspace and it found all my old projects.

After that I went into the Android SDK Manager and downloaded all of the components that I thought I might need and encountered the Unable to resolve target ‘android-17′ error which I will show you how to resolve in my next post.


Tags: , , , ,

  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

Leave a Reply