Recently I not only upgraded my LinuxMint install from version 8 to version 10 but I also reinstalled Windows 7 (x64) on my main box. Ever since then I’ve had no luck doing any file sharing between the two despite my usual setup. Since I reinstalled both Operating Systems at the same time I didn’t know where to start. There were lots of tips for getting Samba and Windows 7 working properly, and general samba issues, but I didn’t even know what was the cause. All my samba logs in /var/logs/samba were just giving me authentication errors, which isn’t more than what Nautilus and Explorer were telling me. Eventually I came up with the following solution:
Windows 7 Registry Tweaks
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters DWORD DomainCompatibilityMode = 1 DWORD DNSNameResolutionRequired = 0 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Netlogon\Parameters RequireStrongKey = 0
That on it’s own didn’t do it for me. After a bit more digging I found a few posts where people were saying that Windows Live Sign-in Assistant caused issues as well. So I quickly disabled that as well and was good to go.